Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Main Materials

Let me start off by saying, this is a VERY expensive project, but it would be more expensive if our Jo-Ann store and Michael's Arts and Crafts didn't have their sales. I saved $93 on the materials in all at Jo-Ann's and I saved over $50 at Michael's Arts and Crafts.

First, here are the main and most important materials I needed in order for this project to work...




  1. Poly-Fil -  I bought 12 ounces of Poly-Fil because I don't need a ton of it to make one puppet.
  2. 1/2 inch-thick Upholstery Foam - This is the main type of foam we sell at our Jo-Ann store. The pattern I am using requires foam only 1/2 an inch thick. There is 2 and a half yards of it, which equals 90 feet. This is the cheapest foam in price, it's $25 for a whole roll, and you can use a coupon most of the time, which I did and I almost got half the price! The foam will be used to create the base of the heads and the bodies of the puppets.
  3. Fiskars Left-Handed Fabric Scissors - Since I am left-handed, I bought a left-handed pair of scissors, which are in the color red.  DO NOT use these on anything else BUT fabric, or you will ruin the sharpness of the scissors.
  4. Black Sharpie Marker - This will be used A LOT on the project. I will trace the outlines of the patterns onto the foam with it. I can also use this to draw eyeballs onto the puppet's eyes later on in the project.
  5. Paint Brush - This will come in handy for Grover and Abby Cadabby.
  6. Exacto Knife - This is a very important tool because it will be used to cut out the complicated shapes traced onto the foam from the head and body patterns.
  7. Hot Glue & Hot Glue Gun - This is probably the most important tool needed because, it will hold the shapes of the foam together to form the head and body. I need to use this to glue the felt onto the mouth boards. I will also need to use this to glue the eyeballs and accessories onto the puppet's heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment